Beauty Products That Aren't Worth The Hype
I just wrote a post on Beauty Products Worth The Hype, so I figured it was time to follow up with a post on beauty products that aren't worth the hype or your money. While I have a large variety of beauty products that I have tried and loved there has also been a large number of products that I really wish I hadn't bought or that worked, but for the price it wasn't worth it and I found that there were better replacements for a better price. So I'm going to review some expensive and/or hyped up products that weren't worth it, at least in my opinion. So here are some products I would skip out on splurging on, if I have a better or cheaper alternative I will link that as well! I want to make a quick disclaimer saying that just because I don't like one product from a brand, that doesn't mean that I don't like the brand. Also, just because a product doesn't work for me or I don't necessarily like it that doesn't mean it won't work for other people. These are all just my own experiences and opinions on these products. Anyways, let's get started!
- YSL Touche Eclat Blut Perfrctor: I bought this product because a beauty guru that I followed hauled it and I was like yep, need that. For a pricey $55 you would think it would work a lot better then it does. The packaging is nice, but then again all high end brands like YSL usually are. I think if you don't wear makeup but want to blur imperfections and help reduce oil then it might work better. But for me all it did is mess up my foundation and make it look cakey, drawing more attention to the imperfections I was trying to cover. I love YSL but for the price I was expecting a lot better results.
- Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist: In theory this product sounded really amazing, one of my favorite YouTubers uses it and it is also used by Kim Kardashian, and don't we all want dewy, luminous skin and makeup like Kim K? It comes in a beautiful glass bottle but only has 1.35 ounces in it and retails for a pricey $48. I was hoping for some gorgeous glowing skin, but all it did is make my skin break out and look like I rubbed my face with butter, regardless of how far away I would spray it or when I would use it (before or after applying makeup). Definitely not my favorite look, anyways I will not be repurchasing this and I don't think for the price it's worth it. My favorite setting spray and a cheaper alternative to this in my opinion would be Urban Decay Chill Cooling and Hydrating Makeup Setting Spray. Much more bang for your buck, puts a great finish on your skin and helps your make up stay on longer, it also feels really nice and refreshing which I'm all about, and retails for $30.
- Tarte Light, Camera, Lashes Mascara: Everyone is always raving over this mascara which retails for $21. To be honest I think there a lot better mascaras out there. I don't like how clumpy it gets and the product seems to dry out really quickly. It doesn't seem to lengthen my lashes at all and I actually really prefer Covergirl's Lashblast Volume Mascara, which actually does volumize and lengthen your eyelashes without being clumpy. Since it's a drugstore product you can get it for $9 which is less than half the price of the Tarte mascara!
- Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Vitamin C Collagen Booster: I really, really wanted to like this product. The idea of putting on this serum to boost collagen is a great idea because Vitamin C is so good for you! Unfortunately, all this little bottle did, which retails for $48, is give me little bumps all over my face. I was hoping it would work a lot better but it didn't so I will not be repurchasing this product and I don't think it's worth the hype.
- Smashbox Iconic Photo Finish Primer: I also really wanted to like and love this product. It retails for $36 and I had heard great things about it before I picked it up. When I first got this I was expecting my pores to be smaller and give me a great base for my foundation. Unfortunately all it did was make my foundation clump up awkwardly and make me break out, so personally this product did not work for me, but I did find a great alternative. I really LOVE the Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer which retails for $45 but in my opinion is so worth it because it does what it's supposed to and really keeps my foundation on all day without breaking me out.
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer: I know many people are going to disagree with me on this one. Honestly it is a good concealer, but only for certain purposes such as spot covering for blemishes. For the under eye it is way too thick and creases. And for a price of $29 I really would rather get a concealer that I can use on blemishes and under my eyes which is why I prefer the Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer, which retails for $28 but I find easier to use and has a better formula.
- Buxom True Nude Lip Foundation: This product retails for $20 and I really love it, minus the fact that it dries out my lips really really bad. The colors are beautiful and pigmented but even when my lips aren't dry, as soon as I apply it my lips feel like I haven't had water in years, and look that way too. I love Buxom's other lip products but unfortunately not these, so save your money unless you're okay with really dry lips!
- Lorac Pro Palette: This palette retails for $44 and it seems like a great deal. You get 16 shades, half matte and half with shimmer. Unfortunately for the price I want a lot better pigment and color pay off. Some of the colors are great and I do have this palette but honestly rarely reach for it. I would definitely purchase any of the Urban Decay Naked palettes again over this one (especially the first one, which is my personal favorite). It does retail for $54 but in my opinon is worth it especially when considering color pay off and quality of the shades. The UD Naked palette also has a variety of matte and shimmer shades which in my opinion is a great alternative to the Lorac Pro Palette.
Anyways, I hope this post was informative and you're able to save some money and know more about some products before buying them! I hope you guys enjoyed this post and if you haven't read my Beauty Products Worth The Hype post make sure to do so!