Let's Deal With Stress (Or Not)
So sometimes life gets a little crazy, and a little stressful. Sometimes more than others. If you're on my school schedule then you're a little stressed right now with finals coming up next week. Whether you have finals or anything else going on in your life, we all want ways we can calm ourselves down and find ways to be less stressed. So here are some things that I like to do to relax during times like this:
- Take a bath. I like to draw a hot bath, light some candles and drop in a bath bomb from Lush. They smell amazing and look really cool. Getting in the tub and just closing your eyes (maybe even with a glass of wine) can really help you just let the world slip away and stop thinking about how crazy everything in life is even if it's just for 30 minutes. Add some Epsom salt to help release any tension you are carying in your muscles.
- Color or draw. So this may sound weird, but I have an adult coloring book and I love it. It's not what you think, there's no naked people or weird pictures. There are patterns, flowers, animals and other objects for you to color in. I ordered mine on amazon.com and it's great! There are many different kinds with different pictures. If you don't want to do this then you can just draw or doodle. I find that coloring is really nice because it's so simplistic and really takes your mind off of life and you can just focus on coloring.
- Write in a journal. I write in my journal 3-4 times a week. This is a really great way to relieve some stress because sometimes just putting your problems on a piece of paper and being able to write anything and everything you want to say (or scream) out loud is a really great way to get it all of your chest (it's also a lot cheaper than a therapist).
- Do yoga. Yoga has been one of my favorite things to do for years now, whether I'm stressed or not. The positive energy that it brings you is amazing. It's also a great way to calm your heart rate and breathe steadily. You can do this at home or at a studio. You'll always feel better after a great yoga session (I love hot yoga, it's great to sweat out all the toxins and it's hard to stress about anything else when your so focused on your pose and breathing).
- Exercise. This is a great way to get your heart pumping and release some endorphins. Put in some headphones, blast some music and go for a run or do some cardio. Afterwards you'll be happy you worked out and it'll be a great release for all the stress your holding in.
- Get a massage. If you have some extra cash, book a massage. You won't regret it. It forces you to lay in a dimly lit room, listen to calming music and get your body rubbed. Sounds awful right? You'll have an amazing time and your body and muscles will thank you later, just don't forget to chug water afterwards or you'll feel like crap the next day.
- Drink tea. Brew a hot cup of tea and just sit down and do something you enjoy. Read a book, listen to some music, go outside and sit in the park. Whatever sounds the most appealing to you. Just don't do more work. Take 30 minutes and do something effortless before you get back to your busy life.
- Go shopping. Okay, this may just be me but I can always go for some good therapeutic shopping time. I'm not a big fan of shopping in person, cause let's be real that means I have to leave my bed, so I online shop. It's my happy place! This may just be me.... but......why not?
- Take a nap. Chances are if you're really stressed you haven't been sleeping well but it is what your body and mind needs. If you're having trouble sleeping try taking a natural sleeping pill such as melatonin (your body naturally produces this and makes you tired). I get mine at Trader Joe's and they're the chew-able kind and they just taste minty! When I'm having a really hard time falling asleep I'll take two of them!
- Make a to-do list. I find that making lists of things that I have to do makes me feel like I have my life a lot more put together and gives me an idea of the things I have to do so I can plan out when I'm going to do them.
I hope that some of these things have given you some ideas or inspiration on things that you can do to get a little stress out of your life! If you have finals coming up good luck loves!