Ride or Die Makeup
Hello, hello fellow lovers of all things makeup and beauty. If any of you are YouTube junkies like I am, you've probably seen Jaclyn Hill's tag that she created called the Ride or Die Make Up Tag. Essentially she phrased it as if you were going to a deserted island and you could only bring one product from each category that you knew would be with you til the end and just work their magic on your face, what would they be? These are products that above else, never fail you and are essentially your ride or die makeup products. Some of these were pretty easy for me to decide on and others I've spent a couple days thinking about and using to determine which I truly like better. Since we know I'm no YouTuber I'll be listing all my ride or die products here and still giving you in depth reasons as to why so if you have been considering purchasing some of them you can get some more information on them. I'll be linking where you can buy them and listing prices as usual. I'll be starting with the order I would normally apply these products so let's just get right into it!
- Primer: My favorite primer of all time is without a doubt the Dr. Brandt Pores No More Primer which retails for $45. I love this primer first because it has a pump and second because it really smooths out my pores and fine lines giving me the perfect base to apply my foundation. I don't know if necessarily makes my foundation last longer but it helps it apply so much smoother and definitely helps my skin and foundation look better. It is on the pricier side but personally I find that it's worth it because I hate how big my pores can look without it.
- Foundation: This was EXTREMELY hard for me. I've tried so many foundations and it honestly depends on how much coverage I want. There is one foundation though that looks natural, is build-able and just has the best finish ever. It is on the pricey side as it retails for $62 for 1.01 ounces of foundation, but it is worth it I promise you. It's the Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation. I have a couple things to say about this foundation. First I'm not impressed by the foundation shade range but I do understand since it is an Asian brand that targets Asian skin tones. This foundation is amazing because of the formula and has really good ingredients. If you think that the color might be a problem I love using my Cover Fx Custom Cover Drops to alter my foundations to match my skin tone! It's really good at minimizing the appearance of pores and is really thin so it doesn't look cakey but is definitely build-able to get the coverage that you want. This is my ride or die because I know that if I'm going out for a casual lunch or going to be out all night that this foundation will be the perfection choice.
- Concealer: While trying to decide on which concealer to pick I was torn. I've recently been falling in love with Tarte's new Shape Tape concealer, but I had to stick with my old holy grail concealer. It's Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Treatment Concealer which retails for about $9 at Ulta. I love how easy this product is to apply with the soft felt/sponge tip and the coverage is amazing and easy to blend. I love this for covering and blemishes and brightening my under eye area. It never creases and has so much coverage it's amazing especially for the price point. I recommend this concealer to everyone and it's because I love it so much myself.
- Setting powder: I didn't even have to think twice about this one, it's for sure the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder which retails for $38. You can use this to bake, set the face and lock in your foundation for days. It doesn't settle into my fine lines or make me look dry or patchy it just gives the perfect finish for my foundation that helps it stay in place all day. I use this product every day and I still haven't run out and had to repurchase it yet. I love this for the under eye area and other areas that normally get oily or crease.
- Brow product: This was another easy one. I've never had a product that made my brows look so natural but full and defined at the same time. It's the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer. This product comes in a variety of shades and retails for $23. I love how easy it is to use and the fact that it has a spooley on the other side of it. It's waxy but not too waxy and looks natural but gives you the perfect amount of pigment so your brows don't look over filled. I've gone through two of these so far and will be repurchasing for life.
- Bronzer: I think that most of you could have guessed this one, it's Benefit's Hoola Matte Bronzer which retails for $29. This is perfect for contouring, bronzing the face and even as a transitional eye shadow shade. I love how easy this product blends and works great with fair-medium skin tones so it can use then while I'm pale or tan. This product lasts me so long and is definitely worth the money and is forever my ride or die bronzer. I love that it's truly matte as well and doesn't have any shimmer or sheen but doesn't look dirty or muddy.
- Blush: This one was hard. I'm not too picky on blush because I can usually work with any color and I'm not too picky on formula or anything. I had to go through my blush collection and say "what blush would look good with everything and would be perfect year round?" and I decided on MAC's Mineralize Blush in the shade Warm Soul which retails for $28. This is my perfect mauve/pink/beige/nude blush that always applies the perfect amount of blush and just looks natural.
- Highlighter: Haters will say I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Let me start by saying I used to adore the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in the shade Opal. Don't get me wrong I'm a die hard fan of Jaclyn Hill but aside for having her name on this product, this is truly amazing. Regardless of if someone else had created it the formula is amazing and so is the color (so good job Jaclyn). So yes of course my ride or die highlighter is Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop which retails for $38.
- Eyeshadow (palette): So instead of choosing just a single eyeshadow Jaclyn decided on a palette which makes more sense. This palette has my favorite formula, pigmentation, application and blends the best out of all the eyeshadows I own. For this category I'm going to have to say that my ride or die palette is the OG Urban Decay Naked Palette which retails for $54. When I'm traveling and can only take a couple palettes I always know that this is one of them. You get your matte shades, shimmer shades and a great eyebrow highlight shade. I really need a new palette because I've already hit pan on multiple shades. The pigmentation is amazing and the mattes are so creamy. Add some Fix+ and the shimmer shades really pop and give you an amazing look.
- Eyeliner: This one has always been my number one, ride or die. Since I used this eyeliner I never felt the need to try another. It's the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner and retails for $22. I love this because it really doesn't move all day and I like how easy it is to create a winged look with the applicator felt tip. It dries quickly and is easy to apply and is just a easy go to for me that I know will never disappoint.
- Mascara: So for this one I was really tempted to say that it's the Tarte Tarteist mascara that I've been LOVING lately. But I had to go back to my oldie but goodie. I always keep one of these in my makeup drawer and I know that it never fails me. Whenever I want my BAM volume and amazing lashes then I know I can just go to my ride or die mascara which is the Covergirl Volume Lashblast Mascara which retails for $9.
- Lipgloss: This was pretty easy cause I don't use gloss to much but when I do, you best believe it's a nude and it's this one. It's Marc Jacobs Enamored Hi-Shine Gloss Lip Lacquer Lipgloss in the shade Moonglow. It's so freaking shiney and retails for $28. You can see this gloss from miles away and gives great pigment. It is a sticky-ish gloss but I absolutely love this gloss and am about to repurchase this gloss because I'm almost out and I can't live without this ride or die gloss!
- Setting spray: This would have to be the Urban Decay Chill Makeup Setting Spray which retails for $30 which may seem expensive but I use this as a setting spray and to enhance the look of my eye shadow and highlight and it just makes it all pop. I use it every time I do my makeup and it just keeps my make up feeling fresh and set. It doesn't make my face look oily or matte it just gives it a nice fresh finish.
- Perfume: I love this scent, I wish I could bathe in this scent and I want to be buried with the scent sprayed all over me. It's Miss Dior Eau de Parfum and this perfume retails for $94 for 1.7 ounces. It says it's key noted scents are; Italian Mandarin Essence, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute and Indonesian Patchouli Essence. If you haven't smelled this before then I highly suggest you do. It stays on my body all day and I'm in love with the smell. It's sophisticated but flirty but not too much. Not one I'd necessarily wear to a job interview but when I have somewhere I'm going that's a big event I love splashing this on my neck and wrists. If I could only use one perfume for the rest of my life this would definitely be it.
*I skipped lipstick because I don't have a ride or die lipstick and I'd be lying if I said one in specific was my favorite when that's just not the case.
Hope you guys enjoyed this post!